Saturday, September 12, 2009

A baby story

9 days later, but better late than never. I was induced twice and really had begun to think that I would never 'go into labor' on my own. I was wrong. My due date according to dr's was Sept 10th, So when I had consistent contractions starting around 1 pm on the 2nd, I was skeptical. I would call Andy and say what do you think we should do? I decided that night to just go to bed and if this were the real thing it would wake me up. Well, at 3:30 am, they woke me up for good. I tried to be polite, tossing and turning in bed til 5 am. Anyone in labor knows how biding time in pain goes. Real fun! At 5 I hopped in the shower to see if it slowed things down or if this train was moving along. Since I had the time, I blowdried and straightened my hair. My last attempt to look decent in all those lovely pictures Andy just loves to take.
I called mom at 6 and said, you better start heading up here, it's the real thing. Yeah! I tried to wait the 3 hours for my mom to get here, an hour later we were in the car on the way to the hospital. I was contracting every 2-4 minutes, awesome 45 minute drive. God knew just what I needed! He's so good. My midwife was there which is pretty sporadic and ended up being the biggest blessing. She checked me and I was between 4-5 cm dialated. She told me we would have the baby most likely by morning sometime. I won't get into gory details, but this was my hardest labor because the baby was posterior. A comforting thought to me during labor, was Mary a young teen, in a stable, terrified, no creature comforts, having Jesus. How could I really complain? After an hour of pushing, I actually got to reach down and welcome our little boy into the world.
Andy balled, I screamed ( I'm sure politely), and we are loving our precious little guy. Even the middle of the night feedings are so special.






4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Glad you've got him in your arms. (my third was also the most intense. thankfully, it's so short-lived in the scheme of things...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing, Emily! As weird as it sounds, it's made me much more excited about giving birth to our third. You're a trooper, and you've been an inspiration to me as a mom. Congrats on the newest addition. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations on baby number 3 - he is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud of you, Em. You are fearfully and wonderfully made! And so beautiful as a child of God and as an amazing mother. Love you.

    ReplyDelete